Grace Through Disobedience

Today, I am overwhelmed.
You see, I was reminded first hand about the life I lived before I came to Christ. I was reminded that every action has a consequence and to be truthful, consequences can be scary. So often we make quick choices without thinking about them. We make choices based on what will give us pleasure or joy in the moment without thinking about how it can affect the long term. I am fully aware that I've made more wrong choices than right ones in my life; knowing things were wrong and choosing do to them anyway, justifying them along the way. But what happens when you stare a consequence in the face? When you have that thought, this wouldn't be happening right now if I never did that? 

I'm reminded of Naomi.
Naomi was a Jew who was married with two sons. Because of the famine that had struck their land, her husband decided to relocate to Moab. The Moabites were descendants of Moab, the son of Lot conceived from the incestuous relationship between him and his eldest daughter. They left the hardship of famine to go to a land of people that were proud (Isaiah 16:6) whom they were told not to seek peace with (Deut 23:6), and  a people who were not allowed to join the congregation of Israel (Deut 23:3). Once they got to Moab, her husband died. Her sons married and within ten years, both of her sons died. All Naomi was left with was her daughter-in-laws. When Naomi decided to return to Judah, one daughter-in-law stayed in Moab and the other came with her. When she got to Judah, She told people to refer to her as Mara, not Naomi, "for the Almighty has dealt very bitterly with me." (Ruth 2:20). Naomi was facing the consequences of her actions and she allowed it to consume her and cause her to become very bitter. And I bet at some point she thought, this wouldn't be happening if we never moved to Moab. 

As I faced the prospect of my consequences recently, I cried and prayed to the Lord. I braced myself to face whatever came, all the while praying that the Lord would deliver from this situation. I even thought, This wouldn't be happening if I had known then what I know now.

Through this situation, I've come to a greater realization of how the Lord is working even in the midst of our disobedience. For Naomi - she had no idea that her daughter-in-law Ruth would marry Boaz and redeem her family. Or that she would give birth to the grandfather of king David. Or that from him, would come the Messiah. She couldn't have imagined.

It is with such a overjoyed heart that I can say that the Lord did deliver me from the consequences I was facing. And I know that it is only by the grace of God. But I am also more exhorted to run everything past the Scriptures. No decision is to small to not go to the Lord with. His word was given to us in order to help us navigate this life. His Holy Spirit was given to us as believers to come along side and help us. But I am also encouraged: that even though I've made wrong choices and walked in disobedience that God has a plan. That somehow, in a way I am sure I can't even imagine, He will be glorified and His grace will be poured out - even through my wrong choices.


Comments

  1. How deeply encouraging this is, Jessica. Thank you so much for sharing your heart; I always seem to need whatever word you share. Praying for you today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this! I am blessed to see your walk with God flourish :) Great reminder too

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I am not Perfect

Hope in the Midst

Things I Can't Tell You