Resist

"For at the window of my house I have looked out through my lattice,
and I have seen among the simple, I have perceived among the youths, a young man lacking sense,
passing along the street near her corner,
taking the road to her house in the twilight, in the evening, at the time of night and darkness.
And behold, the woman meets him, dressed as a prostitute, wily of heart.
She is loud and wayward; her feet do not stay at home;
now in the street, now in the market, and at every corner she lies in wait.
She seizes him and kisses him, and with bold face she says to him,
"I had to offer sacrifices, and today I have paid my vows;
so now I have come out to meet you, to seek you eagerly, and I have found you.
I have spread my couch with coverings, colored linens from Egyptian linen;
I have perfumed my bed with Myrrh, aloes and cinnamon.
Come, let us take our fill of love till morning; let us delight ourselves with love.
For my husband is not at home; he has gone on a long journey;
he took a bag of money with him; at full moon he will come home."
With much seductive speech she persuades him; and with her smooth talk she compels him.
All at once he follows her, as an ox goes to the slaughter,
or as a stag is caught fast till an arrow pierces its liver;
as a bird rushes into a snare;
he does not know that it will cost him his life."
[Proverbs 7:6-23]

The young man this chapter talks of, finds himself idly wandering around in the evening, "taking the road to her house." Under the cover of darkness she comes out flaunting herself and flaunting what she has to offer. The young man soon finds himself persuaded by her to join her that they may "take their fill of love". Sin has enticed him, it is draped in fine linen, bright and attractive, smelling of the best perfumes. In the King James Version, verse 22 says, "he goeth after her straight away". The Hebrew words used denotes a sudden departing of a way of life, walking after and following the footsteps of the harlot.

As I read through this and pondered this individual young man, I couldn't help but recognize the similarities between the harlot spoken of and sin in general. This specific portion of scripture is warning the young man of the harlot and lust, but, as I read it, all I could see was a warning.

I'm reminded that sin, like this woman, lays in wait at every corner. Sin has a desire to rule over us, (Genesis 4:7). Satan wants to entice us with the fine things of life, with the call to come fill up on love; it looks good and promises that it will feel good. All the while knowing that it will lead to our destruction. That is Satan's ultimate plan (John 8:44; John 10:10).

Now how does this affect me, as a Christian? I don't think there is the temptation in any of our lives to run off with the first harlot that approaches us, but there is a lesson to learn. We need to be careful and we need to watch. We should be aware of our use of our time and our surroundings. Satan wants to throw everything our way to get us to give into sin in some way. He will use people, music, entertainment, social media and anything else he can think of to cause us to suddenly depart what we know to walk after something else. The young man in the story was one who "lacked sense"(vs 7) and he gave in after a little persuasion, therefore we need to be founded on wisdom. We need to meditate on His commands, write them on our hearts, not just listen to but do the word of God. We need to, as the psalmist did, "store up [His] word in our hearts, that we might not sin against [Him]." (Psalm 119:11).

All of us are prone to sin because we are all sinners and now more than ever, we need to stand firm on the commands of God. We need to take heed, lest we fall, because we are not exempt. May we not be compelled or persuaded by the world to give into that which we know is sin. May our feet not wander about after dark in areas we know will cause us to stumble. May we be persuaded to pray that the Lord would reveal those areas in us that the enemy could have any foothold. May we, unlike this young man, resist the temptation of the enemy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am not Perfect

Hope in the Midst

A Different Kind of Woman