My Heart is Breaking

I wish I could explain it, this feeling that is stirring in the depths of my soul. Its aching and gnawing at me. Thinking about it, my tears well up at the brims of my eyelids and I have to physically shake my head to bring myself back to reality. My heart is breaking and let me tell you why.

Its easy to get lost in thought thinking about it. Thinking of the countless stories of untold numbers of young men and women, children, and adults that are suffering from abuse and neglect, suffering at the hands of those who are supposed to love them most, suffering from evil men and women taking advantage of their poverty and circumstances.

Did you know that in September of 2011, there were a total of 400,540 kids in foster care in the United States alone? Imagine how thats grown since then. As of 2012, there were approximately 55,200 kids in foster care in California alone.
Did you know that as of 2012, there are 135 million orphans worldwide?
Did you know that there are approximately 27 million people trapped in human trafficking worldwide?
Did you know that 80% of human trafficking victims are women and up to 50% are minors?

These are just a few of the statistics that you can find on the internet. But lets make it a little more personal. Here is the story of 3 children, ages 16, 14 and 13 that were rescued from sex-trafficking in the Philippines, (http://www.ijm.org/news/ijm-cebu-two-boys-and-16-year-old-girl-rescued-anti-trafficking-operation).

Truthfully, writing this, I don't know what to do. I don't have some wise words on how to solve this. Short of God's intervention, nothing will work. I am committing myself to praying, because at this point, thats all I know how to do. I'll let my heart break for these precious men, women and children and I will shed tears, praying that they would be able to one day experience the love that God has for them and the freedom and justice due them.

Want more information, check out these ministries:
International Justice Mission; ijm.org
A21 Campaign; thea21campaign.org
Bethany Christian Services; bethany.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am not Perfect

Hope in the Midst

A Different Kind of Woman