Living with a Non-Believer

"Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer have with an unbeliever?" - 2 Corinthians 6:14-15

We read these verses at our staff devotion this morning and honestly my heart broke. It hit me, for the first time, that people I love who don't know Christ, can't ever have a true relationship with me. Outside of Christ, all friendship and relationships will only be so deep. At a certain point, any advice given by said non-believer will be completely against the Bible and what God teaches in His word. At a certain point, said non-believer will speak and say something way out of line and hurtful. At a certain point, said non-believer will be used as a tool of the enemy as a means of warfare. And we can't change that. No matter what we do, a non-believer will never respond, advise or treat you like a Spirit filled man or woman. We can't expect that. If we are in the position that we are close to a non-believer, we need to prepare ourselves for this.

I'm currently learning this lesson in being back at home with my grandma. I need to put my armor on just as much being at home as I do when I go out in the world. My grandma, as much as I love her, is not a Spirit-filled believer. She does not think or act the way that a Spirit-filled individual would. She acts and thinks as the world does and I need to guard myself for that. We can't take things those non-believers say about us personally. The enemy uses them to not only cause strife but to attack us where it hurts. And we need to be careful to not let the words they say or the way they think influence us into compromise. We need to, "be strong in the Lord and the strength of His might." (Eph 6:10)

As much as I love and respect my grandma, more often than not,  I have to learn to disassociate from what she says about me. We are on two different paths, thinking completely different and I can't expect her to act and respond in a way that she has no ability to. I'm saddened to think that the relationship I have with her is only a slight version of what it could be, but I am encouraged to pray for her. My God is the God of the impossible and no matter how hard she, or anyone else might be, the Lord is mighty to save.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am not Perfect

Hope in the Midst

Things I Can't Tell You