Who? What? Where? Why? When? How?


In one of the ministries I'm involved in, we recently started a small group series. The first series is on Trusting God. As I was preparing for the first meeting, reading over a selected chapter of a book and going over the questions we were going to ask, the Lord started speaking to me specifically on asking why. (or who, what, where, when, and how for that matter.) Over the last few months, the Lord has been speaking to me about keeping my hands out of the cookie jar, so to speak. He has emphasized not manipulating situations to get my desired situation or results, but to trust Him to bring about His will.

I'm in a place in my life right now, where there is so much uncertainty. But here is what I do know:
I know that the Lord has told me that He is going to do a new thing in my life.
I know that the Lord sent me on the mission trip to New Jersey.
I know that the Lord has me working at the job that I am right now.
I know that He has me serving in the ministries I am serving in.
So, I do know a lot, however, I have the sense that the Lord is preparing me and beginning to shape new desires in me. I don't know how it will all play out or what it will look like when it does play out.

There is a temptation, in all of this, to be plagued with questions. "Lord, is this what you are doing?" "What does it look like?" "When will you show me?" "When will it come about?"  "Where will I be?" "What will I be doing?" The list of questions goes on and on. Through the midst of all of this, I hear His small voice... Trust Me. Don't ask those questions, just trust Me. 

The more I thought about these things, the more the question kept coming to me, "Who am I to ask God to explain Himself to me?" I think of Job, who, toward the end of his trial, cried out to God, "I cry out to you, but You do not answer me." (Job 20:20) Gods response to Job is convicting,  "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding." (Job 28:4) God continues rhetorically asking Job where he was when time, earth and all its contents were created.

Although, I don't think that asking God about what He is doing in our lives is necessarily wrong, I have been convicted about it. There is an obvious difference between asking that the Lord would show His plans, make the path He wants us to take clear versus demanding God tell us what He is doing, that He would give all the wisdom and knowledge to know what it will all look like or how it will all play out.

The hardest thing to do, when there is so much change on the horizon, is to sit still and let God be God.  I know that I want to know, I want to do, I want to assist God in bringing about His will. But that is exactly what God is telling me not to do.

As I begin this journey of trust, the Lord has given me many verses to cling to and I have never been more encouraged.

"I know that You can do everything, and that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You." 
- Job 42:2

"And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; for You, Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." - Psalm 9:10

"... but he who trust in the Lord, mercy shall surround him.: - Psalm 32:10b 

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." - Proverbs 3:5

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways," says the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts higher than your thoughts." - Isaiah 55:8&9

Comments

  1. Love this! Super encouraging! You're not alone, friend! I am the exact same way! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I am not Perfect

Hope in the Midst

Things I Can't Tell You